In pursuance of the Society's objectives, annual awards in the form of
framed certificates are given for the buildings that have made a notable
contribution to the townscape, under the headings:
- new buildings
- restoration or refurbishment of an existing building
Awards are made in two classes:
- commercial or local authority
Schemes must have been completed in the preceding two years and be visible
from the public highway, including footpaths, and the criteria for judging
- architectural quality
- work in character with the surroundings or forming a focal point
- improvement to the original building or its setting
- scale, detailing, colour and materials sympathetic,
well considered and appropriate
- good quality of workmanship and standard of finish
- impact: does it set a good standard for others to follow?
The awards are in three categories:
- high commendation
- and commendation.
At the Awards Evening photographs of all the nominations are shown
and the work described before the awards are announced and
the presentations made.
The Ipswich Society Annual Awards
For full details of previous winners and nominations, see these articles
from our newsletter:
We hope to have a more complete list of winners as and when time allows.
Endeavour House: award of distinction
St Mary's Square: high commendation
Atfield family, Sun Inn, St Stephen's Lane: special award