The Ipswich Society's contribution to MAD (Making a Difference) in Alexandra
Ward, which includes the town centre, was a 25-page document of suggestions.
Set out in table form, street by street, the survey covered street furniture
(with a predominance of redundant traffic signs) fly posting and graffiti.
Subsequent visits to the surveyed streets highlighted that we had included
about a third of the clutter that could be easily removed, and checking
against the index indicated we had only visited half of the streets! The
table below is an example for part of Princes Street.
Making a Difference - Alexandra Ward (Town Centre)
Our submission has not yet been acknowledged by 113C nor has there been any
sign on the ground of the removal of items from the list.
- outside Barclays Bank, Princes St: Fly posting on silver box
- outside Giles Tavern, Princes St: Wheelie bins on pavement, permanent
- opposite No. 35 Princes St: Fly posting on TV camera post
- outside Willis, Princes St: Fly posting on telephone switch box
- opposite Willis, Princes St Priorities changed sign, established junction
- outside Willis, Princes St: Fly posting on Direction sign
- outside No. 38 Princes St: Redundant posts x2
The Council's remaining programme ward by ward is as follows. In each case
an audit will be done a few weeks before the work begins. These dates are
for the actual clean up work which will continue into next year until June.
Alexandra, Gainsborough and Gipping Wards completed. Rushmere being done.
- Whitton 18 October - 5 November
- Westgate 8 November - 3 December
- Priory Heath 3 January - 21 January
- Stoke Park 17 January - 4 February
- Bixley 31 January - 18 February
- Whitehouse 21 February - 11 March
- St Margaret's 14 March - I April
- Holywells 4 April - 22 April
- Sprites 25 April - 13 May
- St John's 16 May - 3 June
- Castle Hill 6 June -
Cover, issue 157