The baths hall has re-opened as The Gym Ipswich. BBC Radio Suffolk asked the Society for information about the history of the baths. The original building cost around £22,770 in 1924 and it consisted of a 75x30 ft pool with a balcony for 200 spectators and 21 slipper baths, useful for a time when many houses had no bathrooms.
During the winter months a sprung maple floor would cover the pool for meetings and concerts, etc. It was in heavy demand after the Public Hall (on the site now occupied by Primark) burned down in 1947. In the 1970s the Corn Exchange became the entertainment centre, so all year round swimming took place at St Matthew's, but after the opening of Crown Pools it was sold to developers and was last used as a social club.