Unitarian Meeting House (Grade I)
Newsletter, January 2012 (Issue 186)
Town Centre Master Plan
Most of its contents are truths that we recognise and most of the
solutions will be provided by others. But it is a strategic plan so
it does discuss where the town centre is weak and what changes
should be made. Here are some of the key recommendations:
- The connection between the town centre and the Waterfront is
- Consequently the current east-west axis should eventually be re-
orientated to north-south.
- The shopping offer needs improvement. National chains find the
empty shops incompatible with modem trading.
- The Westgate and Mint Quarter empty sites are zoned for retail
but may never be developed for that use.
- A third site (EADT premises Turret Lane) is available for building
offices, shops, etc.
- Develop Old Cattle Market into street of small shops with
residential buildings in the area.
- Create one bus station eventually
on Tacket Street car park to replace the two present ones.
- Redevelop Tower Ramparts shopping centre into the vacated bus
station with appropriate modem shopping space.
- Construct better access across Star Lane to facilitate easy use of
the north-south axis.
Cover, issue 186