H.J. Leslie Barefoot GC
H.J. Leslie Barefoot GC was the architect of the pedestrian shopping streets in the centre of Ipswich known as Thoroughfare and The Walk, the latter of which is the site of his plaque.
Born in Dulwich he served with distinction in WW1. In 1920 he came to Ipswich with his family and designed laudable buildings throughout East Anglia, becoming president of the Suffolk Association of Architects.
Rejoining the army in 1939 with the Royal Engineers he volunteered to form a new unexploded bombs unit. The 1941 citation for the George Cross states: “for most conspicuous gallantry in carrying out hazardous work in a very brave manner.”
He was the first Army officer to receive the award and is commemorated, with other GC recipients, by a plaque in Westminster Abbey.
The plaque was unveiled in July 2007.
After a refurbishment of The Walk in 2015 the plaque was moved to its current location.
